Emerging research shows a connection between Covid -19 and gum disease. Individuals with underlying gum disease who contract Covid-19 can be at higher risk for serious respiratory complications. Periodontal (Gum) Disease can negatively affect your overall health. Research shows there is already a strong correlation between periodontal disease and heart issues, stroke, diabetes and other health problems.
Given this information at Horizon Dental Care, we are placing a higher level of focus and urgency on our dental patients who have a history of gum disease. To stay as healthy as possible be sure to keep up to date on your periodontal maintenance and treatment by scheduling (or keeping) your upcoming appointment.
Signs and Symptoms of Gum Disease:
- Bleeding gums– Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose Teeth– Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth– Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath– Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums– Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums– Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums– Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or discomfort– Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.
Good oral hygiene practices and periodontal cleanings are essential in maintaining dental health and keeping periodontal disease under control! Contact our Horizon Dental Care Offices today to schedule a visit.