PERIODONTAL DISEASE - WHAT IS IT?
Periodontal disease is infection around and inflammation of the gums caused by bacterial plaque, a colorless film, which sticks to your teeth at the gum line. Disease ranges from gingivitis, marked by red, tender, and inflamed gums, to advanced cases of periodontitis where the gums begin to pull away from teeth, and can lead to bone and tooth loss. Thanks to modern dentistry many Americans have brighter, straighter healthier smiles yet four out of five people have periodontal disease and don't know it! Most people are not aware of it because the disease is usually painless in the early stages.
Periodontal treatment can involve both surgical and non-surgical procedures. When the presence of gum disease is detected in a patient it important to act fast to prevent it from spreading further. If caught early, the damage may be reversible with professional deep cleaning, called scaling and planning, and medication. Advanced periodontitis may require oral surgery to restore some health to gums. If the tooth stability and bone is compromised restorative treatments such as implants may be required.
Horizon Dental offers the specialized Periodontic care with one of the areas leading periodontists, Dr. Randy Nolf. Dr Nolf specializes in dental implants and restorations and the treatment of periodontal disease.
Signs and symptoms of periodontal disease:
- Bleeding gums- Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose Teeth- Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth- Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath- Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums- Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums- Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums- Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or discomfort- Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.